Historic Istanbul Orchards
Orchards have an important place in Istanbul due to the city's ability to be
self-sufficient in terms of food and the preservation of past farming techniques. Although there are a lot
of orchards in the past, there are only 3 orchards left in the center of Istanbul because of distorted
construction and rent: Yedikule Bostanları, Piyalepaşa and Kuzguncuk Bostanı.
The oldest of these, Yedikule Orchard’s history dates back to the 5th century AD. Kuzguncuk Orchard is at
least 700 years old and Piyalepaşa Orchards has at least 450 years of history.
Kuzguncuk Orchards is under protection today with the support of local people, but Yedikule and Piyalepaşa
Orchards are under constant threat of destruction. Lastly, in 2013 Yedikule’s brick walls were almost
completely destroyed and concrete was poured over the water channels and wells from Byzantium. In the past
year, the barracks where the gardeners were living were destroyed. Piyalepaşa Orchard is under threat of the
parking lot project of İstanbul Municipality.
He was born in 1983, Istanbul. He was graduated from the
Department of Sociology at Anadolu University. He is currently studying at the Department of Photography,
Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University.
He published articles and photos in Atlas Magazine and Photoworld magazines. He worked as a tenured writer
in Photoworld magazine. He took part in the teams of Fotoİstanbul 2015-2016 Photography Festival and Tüyap
2017 Art Fair.
Exhibitions He Is In:
• 2011 – UK Royal Art Academy Exhibition – MSFAU
• 2013 – Baykuşun Gezisi (Trip of the Owl) Exhibition– San Francisco, ABD
• 2013 – Marmaris Photography Festival
• 2015 – Hayat Normale Dönüyor (Life Is Becoming Normal) –Open Studio Collective Exhibition Istanbul
• 2016 – İlk Fotoğraf Kitabının İzinde (In The Way Of the First Photography Book) Cyanotype Exhibition –
Tophane-i Amire Culture Center
• 2016 – İstanbul'un Tarihi Alanları (Historical Areas of Istanbul) Photography Exhibition and Book– Unesco
World Heritage Meeting – Lütfi Kırdar Congress Hall
• 2016 – Exile / Sürgün – Photokina Leica Upcoming Masters of Photography Exhibition – Cologne – Germany
• 2016 – Digital Obscura Exhibition– Tuyap Art Fair
• 2016 – Apocalypse – Tuyap Art Fair
• 2016 – Fuam Exhibition -Tuyap Art Fair
• 2017 – Euro Citizenship Exhibition –The Boutographies – Rencontres photographiques de Montpellier – France
• 2017 – Euro Citizenship Exhibition – Photmetria Festival, Saligaros Gallery, Stoa Alieos, Greece
• 2017 – Yeni Arayışlar (In Search of the New) Competition Exhibition (Third Place), MSFAU Osman Hamdi Bey
• 2017 – İstanbul Nereye Exhibition – Kadıköy Municipality Academy
• 2017 – İstanbul Nereye Exhibition – Design Workshop Kadıköy –TAK
• 2017 – Cüzdan (Wallet) – International Bursa Photography Festival – Merinos Culture Center